Since the early 1990’s we have worked cooperatively with Wetland Studies and Solutions, Inc. (WSSI), Weanack Land, Virginia Department of Transportation (VDOT), and others to develop effective wetland creation and restoration strategies for mitigation programs. This work has been collaborative with Rich Whittecar at Old Dominion University, and Jim Perry at the Virginia Institute of Marine Sciences. Our work has focused on Coastal Plain and Piedmont non-tidal forested wetland creation because of the extensive impact to those resources, although we also monitor a tidal freshwater wetland site at Weanack in Charles City County.
We have recently completed a large-scale wetland expansion and enhancement project at Huntley Meadows Park in Alexandria, VA. We collaborated with Rich Whittecar, Tess Thompson of the Virginia Tech Department of Biological Systems Engineering, WSSI, and the Fairfax County Park Authority to characterize and quantify the hydrology of the wetland and assess long-term changes in the vegetation communities in response to a new flooding regime.
More information on our research project at Huntley Meadows, including weather station data, is available at the Huntley Meadows Wetland Research Site. Much of the monitoring data that was collected at the site has served as a field test for Wetbud, our wetland water budget modeling software.
- Huntley Meadows Restoration and Monitoring: Final Report and Supporting Documents
- 2012-2017 Monitoring and Research Final Report: Wetlands Restoration and Water Budget Modeling at Huntley Meadows Park
- Troyer, Nicole (2013). Monitoring Hydrology in Created Wetland Systems with Clayey Soils (M.S. Thesis)
- Dickinson, Sarah (2007). Influences of Soil Amendments and Microtopography at a Created Tidal Freshwater Swamp in Southeastern Virginia (M.S. Thesis)
- Fajardo, Gabriela (2006). Physical and Chemical Soil Properties of Ten Virginia Department of Transportation (VDOT) Mitigation Wetlands (M.S. Thesis)
- 2005 VDOT-TRC Mitigation Site Study Report
- Bergschneider, Cara (2005). Determining an Appropriate Organic Matter Loading Rate for a Created Coastal Plain Forested Wetland (M.S. Thesis)
- Schmidt, Mike (2002). Litter Decomposition in Created and Adjacent Forested Wetlands of the Coastal Plain of Virginia (M.S. Thesis)
- 2000 VDOT-TRC Water Budget Study Report
- Cummings, Angela R. (1999). An Analysis of Palustrine Mitigation Wetlands in the Virginia Coastal Plain (M.S. Thesis)
- Hydric Soil Landscapes of Virginia
- Hydric Soil Reconstruction for Mitigation Sites
- Wetland Water Budgeting Procedures
- Litter Decomposition in Mitigation Wetlands
- Effects of Organic Matter Additions on Mitigation Site Soils
- Mitigation Site Soil Properties Across Ten Sites
- Constructing a Tidal Freshwater Wetland: Photographs